Sunday, May 26, 2013

Movie Reviews with halochief996: Star Trek: Into Darkness plus This is the End

I know its been a while.  Where have I been.  Well I've been working.  A lot.  In fact, I've been busy with work and school, that its hard for me to sit down and start writing my blogs.  Most of the time I lose focus and start playing a video game on my computer.  Shame on me.  Yes I have seen a lot of movies, but I have yet to write reviews about them.  But I try.  Well sit back, relax, and enjoy this blog because I got a lot of movies to review today.  One especially that I got a first look at, before its release in June.

Star Trek Into Darkness
The first Star Trek by J.J. Abrams was amazing.  It was my number one film of 2009.  J.J. Abrams has my respect, and he certainly knows how to make good science fiction films (I'm pretty confident that him and Disney can make a good star wars film).  Anyway with the success of the first Star Trek film, it was no surprise to me that he would make another Star Trek film.  He definitely knows how to treat and handle the story and world of Star Trek really well.
Plot: The story takes place after the events of the first film.  Captain Kirk (Chris Pine) of the USS Enterprise is exploring worlds, and helping out wherever he can (such as preventing an indigenous population from getting wiped out, and making them worship a giant spacecraft as a god).  Anyway his rule breaking antics are really starting to get on the Starfleet's nerves, and so he is demoted until he can prove that he can follow orders.  Things take a turn for the worse when a Starfleet commander named John Harrison, defects and declares war with Starfleet.  Its up to Kirk to find him, and bring him to justice, however there is more to Harrison that meets the eye.  The story is interesting.  If you saw the trailers, I will say there is nothing ruined.  The story is fresh.  Its a different take on the Star Trek universe.
Genre: A great science fiction action film.  J.J. Abrams knows how to make a great film.  The special effects are amazing, and the set designs are awesome.  I will say though there are some really unnecessary lens flares in some scenes that don't seem like they should have any lens flares at all.  Reminds me of Battlefield 3, and staring at the sun.  Thank god I watched in 2D, I can't imagine how it may look in 3D.  The action is pretty awesome.  There are some big phaser battles, and starship battles.  The acting is also top notch.  Most of the actors from the first film are reprising their roles.  Chris Pine makes a good Captain Kirk, and Zachary Quinto is an awesome Spock.  Along with that, new faces.  Benedict Cumberbatch makes a good bad guy. His voice is very dark and mysterious.  Either way, all actors are portray nicely.
Overall: An amazing film for the summer.  J.J. Abrams has done it again.  A well made movie that is entertaining and fun.  If you like the first film, you will definitely like this one.  The action, acting, and special effects are all amazing.  Again the only complaint I have are the random lens flares.  But that should not stop you from watching this film.  Better than the video game.

10 out of 10

The next review is a movie that comes out publicly on June 12, 2013.

This is the End
So last week I got to see a private screening of this film.  We were special because it was the first screening of the film.  I saw some of this film a while back, and I thought it looked funny.  All these actors playing themselves trying to survive the apocalypse.  After seeing this film, I definitely got a good laugh out of it.
Plot: The story is really simple.  All these comedy actors are living the life.  Partying, getting high, getting drunk, and being crazy.  Until the world ends.  Now they are stuck in hell/earth with other crazy survivors (actors like Emma Watson and a few other actors, which I don't want to spoil for you), and the devil's monsters.  These actors learn to adapt, survive, and trust in each other.  Because when the world ends, you need to have your friends.  The story is really simple and funny.  A movie making fun of other end of the world movies.
Genre: Its a comedy, and I have to say its funny.  The film makes fun of so many things.  It makes fun of actors, Hollywood (where Argo praised Hollywood, this film insults Hollywood), and religion.  I had a good laugh.  There were so many hilarious jokes.  I couldn't stop laughing.  The acting, well I can't tell if they are acting or just being themselves.  Either way its funny and stupid.  I will say though after you watch the film, you will realize, you didn't really learn anything besides laugh at a bunch of stupid jokes and saw a bunch of actors try to survive the end of the world (or actors faking to survive the end of the world).  Either way you will get a good laugh.
Overall: Its a funny film that has a lot of good jokes.  I especially like how the actors are playing themselves (fake or real it doesn't matter).  However the whole film is basically one big joke about the Hollywood, actors, religion, and the end of the world.  Its funny, but just don't expect so much out of this film.  Go in watching this film with no brain.
7.5 out of 10

These next few films are going to be quick reviews.  

Iron Man 3
Ever since Robert Downey Jr. started acting for these films, Iron Man has become one of my top 5 favorite super heroes.  I mean Robert Downey Jr.  knows how to play Tony Stark really well.  He is Iron Man.  Anyway Iron Man 3 takes place after the events of The Avengers.  Tony Stark is dealing with PTSD, and worries so much about his girlfriend Pepper (Gwyneth Paltrow).  Anyway a new villain has emerged, The Mandarin, and he is tearing the world apart piece by piece.  Its up to Iron Man (not the Avengers) to stop the mandarin before he sets the world on fire with his destructive bombs.  The story is interesting, but there is a surprise in the film that to me was a big letdown, especially for the villain.  The action and special effects are amazing (which is why I wanted to see this film besides listening to Tony Stark troll bad guys), but the story I believed could've been written better, and the villain could've been even better than what I saw in this film.  Overall its a good summer action film, but I can't forgive them for how they developed the villain in this film.  It could've been so much better.  Well we will see what happens in Avengers 2.  
8 out of 10  

The Great Gatsby
I remembered reading this book in high school.  I even saw the Robert Redford version of this film.  When I first saw the trailer of this film, I thought to myself this may turn out to be a good remake.  It is a pretty good remake for this generation.  Basically if you have not read the book, the story is about a guy named Gatsby that tries to win back a girl by impressing her with his wealth.  But as he tries to win her back, things get complicated.  Its a good classic story.  If you have not read the book, well that's OK.  I didn't like it that much.  Compared to the old film, this film is more modern and more accessible to this generation.  There is some mix of classic rock, slow pop jazz, and hip hop.  I feel like the film could've benefited with music from the 1920's but for the most part the music fits fine in this film.  The acting is really superb.  I'm glad they casted Leonardo Dicaprio as Gatsby.  He makes a really good Gatsby.  Tobey Maguire though.  I mean he does a good job, but I pictured Nick to be a little bit more mature looking.  Overall its a good adaptation of the classic novel.  Definitely worth watching.  However if you have a school assignment, I would recommend reading the book, over watching this film.  
8.2 out of 10  

Oblivion
There is more to this movie, than the trailers are revealing.   Basically aliens invaded Earth, we won, but Earth is basically destroyed.  Tom Cruise is part of a cleanup crew sent in to retrieve some resources then leave.  However things are not as it seem, when a pod carrying humans is found and immediately destroyed by the drones.  Like I said there is a lot of mystery, and suspense in this movie.  The action and special effects are really amazing as well.  If you want a good science fiction film, you need to see this film.  
8.5 out o f 10

G.I Joe Retaliation
This film.  All that I will say is, its better than the first in so many different ways.  If you didn't like the first film, this one is better.  If you liked the first film, well this film is way better (you'll like this film over the first).  The action is way better.  The acting is better.  And there are a few good jokes made by The Rock.  A good solid action film.
8.5 out of 10 

Now at this point I would probably be doing our Asian Star of the Week, but as much as I love to do one, this blog post is a little bit long.  But don't worry I'm not getting rid of this section just yet.  I'm also planning on writing another section for this blog called "Call of Duty Emblems of the Week." My friend suggested it to me and wants to work with me on that, so I'm in the process of trying to figure out how this will work.  So if you are a Call of Duty player show your best emblem, and you may be featured on this blog.  I'll let you know when I start to do it.  Until next time, thanks for reading.  

No comments:

Post a Comment